How to Update your Uconnect System
Upgrading your Uconnect System is essential for its security, as demonstrated by Chrysler's recent recall of vehicles after a safety scare. Owners looking to update their Uconnect Systems can do it by requesting a USB drive preloaded with the software, installing it themselves or taking it to a trusted dealership.
Receiving a USB through the mail is needlessly risky. Upgrading the software yourself takes time, so going to a dealership seems to be the only viable option. Visit Kelly Jeep in Emmaus, PA, for top-notch assistance.
Nonetheless, if you do plan on going through the DIY route, here is a detailed method to guide you:
- Visit Uconnect's website and enter your VIN, found in the bottom corner of your front windshield.
- You will come across a tutorial that will detail all the steps you need to take. Reading through it is not necessary, as the steps are easy to comprehend.
- If you have a Windows computer, you will be prompted to download the Akamai NetSession Interface. Again, downloading Akamai is not necessary, as it helps manage multiple files at once. If you have just one pending update, you will not need Akamai.
- When you see the link to download the update, right-click and save the files in a ZIP file format.
- The Uconnect interface only accepts 4 GB USB drives. If you have multiple updates, you have to open each ZIP file, move it to your USB, update it into the car, bring it back, empty it, and start the process again. You will have to undergo this process even with sub-folders.
- To update Uconnect, remove all SD cards and USB ports from your car and insert the drive. Set the ignition to Run. If you have a button starter, keep your foot off the brake and press the button twice to reach Run. A file will take a maximum of 15 minutes to upload.
- You will require an anti-theft code, something only available at a dealership. Ensure that you have the code before beginning the update. You have to enter the code before updating it. If you get the code wrong three times, you have to wait for half an hour before you can retry.